Wednesday, July 31, 2013

For educational purposes only! I will not take responsibility for you!


Here I will demonstrate you how to sniff packets through Wireshark. Having gone through some networking basics we are now prepared to go through some practical instance. As I had said that FTP and HTTP are two of the some application protocols that pass the username and password across the network in clear text. So here, we will do some sniffing of FTP server details of some victim.


Install and run Wireshark


1 (1)


 


Go to ‘Capture‘ and select ‘Interfaces’ from the drop-down.


2 (1)


 


I select the VMWare network adapter since I am using VMWare for demonstrating this. Go to Options


4


 


Check that the Promiscuous mode checkbox is selected and I also opted to use the Capture filter to narrow the sniffed packets. That is, it targets the packet activity of the specific IP used as the Capture filter.  Done with the setting, press the Start button. Now, wait for the victim to login to the FTP server. I am using Ubuntu OS at the victim end on the same network.


51 (1)


 


I have setup the FTP server at some IP 192.168.48.128. The sooner the victim logs in. The login details get sniffed and get listed out as:


6


 


Check the rows highlighted in blue, in the above snapshot. One show the user-name and the other shows the password of the victim. I hope, this was quite informative from my side.

0 comments :

Post a Comment